Pages

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Unfinished Wood Crates Turned Vintage Project

I'm back as promised to share what I came up with for the unfinished wooden crates. It was very easy and took just an hour to complete! That's my kinda project!!
Here's the "after" photo of one of the finished crates I did...

and, here's the before pics of how this one started out it's plain, little bare wood life...
You can see in the pic down below where I banged up the crate a little bit to give it that more aged appearance. So, when I stained the crate, those imperfections gave it a more vintage look. I didn't go crazy with the aging routine as I didn't want to spend too much time on this project. I hava a lot going on so wanted to see if I could do this within a hour--and I did!
Here's a close-up of the dents & dings on the stained crate:
The stain is Dark Walnut. 
The materials I used for the finish:
Wood Stain in Dark Walnut
Martha Stewart Multi-Surface Craft Paint in 4 colors I mixed together:
  • Gray Wolf
  • Arrowhead
  • Wet Cement
  • Acorn
Glaze (for mixing with paint)
Foam Paint Brush
Cloth rags
Copy of Frenchy Antique Perfume Label(s) - Source for free old labels: The Graphics Fairy. Here's her website: http://graphicsfairy.blogspot.com/ 
Mod Podge Decoupage Medium

Crates purchased at JoAnn Store & Michael's.

Martha Stewart Multi-Surface Craft Paints

How I did it
I stained the unfinished crate first. This took about 30 minutes per crate. Not too bad! Then I let the stain dry. Once stain was dry, I mixed up the craft paints to apply the last finish. Mix a squirt of each paint with about a 1/4 cup or so of glaze. Then, just take a cloth rag, wet it, ring it out well (you don't want it wet) then dip the rag in the mixed paints and apply like you're wiping it on and wiping off here and there.

Like this...
let glaze coat dry...

The paint glaze finish dries really quick so you can apply your decorative labels or stencil on old, classic numbers or whatever your heart desires. I used decoupage glue or Mod Podge, to seal the labels onto the crate. I put two labels on this crate, one on each end of crate. I brushed Mod Podge on all over the label and over all of the wood surface on the ends of the crate where I put the labels. This seals it. The paint glaze finish adds a bit of a light-weathered look to the wood so it's not so perfect looking.

Note: You can seal the entire crate if you like, but I will probably re-paint it again someday knowing as how I come up with these spastic ideas to do stuff over so don't want the agony of sanding my hands off when I want to paint the crates again....  

 apply pretty antique label, seal & you're done!
You can use these crates for planters, storage, or hang as a shelf in your cottage bath. For now, I will use mine for storing & displaying goods at an upcoming craft show. Wouldn't these be great for a Fall display, full of mums, pumpkins, and gourds? Let me know what you would use your crates for.

Thanks for checking out my new "vintage" crates ~ have a sweet weekend.

Love & Smiles,
Kimberly
xx00






2 comments:

  1. Hi Kimberly. Love your refinished create...Your stenciling on the bags is amazing! xo's Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pam! I truly appreciate your kind comment.

    ReplyDelete