Pages

Monday, February 17, 2014

Make Your Own Burlap & Lace Ribbon, Aisle Runners & More

Easy DIY Burlap & Lace Ribbon


Easy Burlap & Lace Ribbon

My daughter is getting married this Spring and she has chosen a burlap and lace-themed décor with vintage-style mercury glass vases & candesticks for her wedding--and ivory/sage hydrangeas for the flowers. Have you noticed that burlap, lace and mercury glass are all the fashion for weddings these days? I see it everywhere! It's a beautiful, charming, vintage, easy look and affordable.

INSPIRATION from our Pinterest Wedding Pin Boards, Style Me Pretty & La Tavola Linen

We were so inspired by beautiful burlap & lace wedding photos we saw on Pinterest. View TheJoyfulHome's Pin Boards here for our wedding inspiration and the look we're aiming for as shown in the photo below (and yes, I will be sewing all those lace tablecloths & chair covers...what was I thinking?!!)

Photo by Michael & Anna Costa (Featured on Style Me Pretty)

Featured On: Style Me Pretty
Photography By: Michael + Anna Costa Photographers Ltd.
Designed By: Ariel Yve Design, LLC.
Flowers By: Juniper Designs
Linens Featured: Alencon Lace-White cap and chair covers, Burlap-Natural Underlay, Monique-Antique Ivory - See more at: http://blog.latavolalinen.com

Burlap & Lace Wrapped Wedding Invitations



I have already used gobs of burlap & lace ribbon to wrap around my daughter's invitations. She chose a vintage-style, somewhat rustic invite with a burlap heart and casual font. I thought they needed a little something so I sewed about 30 yards of lace trim onto as much ready-made burlap ribbon. I had looked online for ready-made lace and burlap ribbon but it was about $12 per 3 yards and as much $4 to $6 per one yard in some cases. So, I made the ribbon myself.



What You Need & Sources:
It's super easy and quick to make your own. You just need:
  • sewing machine
  • burlap ribbon
  • lace trim
I used 2" wide burlap ribbon with serged/sewn edges so it does not fray & I used various 1" to 1.75" lace trims.  I used a simple, straight stitch setting on my machine. You don't even need to pin the lace onto the burlap ribbon--just position the roll of burlap ribbon & lace behind your machine but down on the floor off of your sewing table. Then, just center the lace trim onto your ribbon and guide it along with your fingers as the machine pulls it through and sews the lace on. It's very quick & easy this way and the ribbons just flow off the spools as you are stitching along. I had 30 yards of this ribbon done in 30 minutes or less.

Note: Most of the lace pictured is lace I already had on hand.

SOURCES:
BurlapFabric.com - Burlap Ribbons
BurlapFabric.com - Lace Trims/Ribbons
Save-On-Crafts.com - Burlap Ribbons & Fabric
Save-On-Crafts.com - Lace Trims/Ribbons







3 comments:

  1. I love these wedding ideas and creations...so charming! We used a lot of burlap and lace for my daughters wedding last summer...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda! Thank you and know that I enjoy your blog every time I have the pleasure of reading it.

    Heartfelt thanks for the sweet note.

    Kimberly xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful idea about aisle runner. Your idea seems to change the whole decor of the wedding ceremony. Its really a new idea. I came across variety of aisle runners from IMA Trading . They are awesome.. Good post!!

    ReplyDelete